Sep 7, 2011

Domestic Bliss Ripple Afghan

Skill Level:
Easy

Materials Used:
Hobby Lobby I Love This Yarn #4 yarn in Soft Blue
Hobby Lobby I Love This Yarn #4 yarn in White
Hook size K (6.5mm)

Pattern:
Domestic Bliss Afghan

Changes to Pattern:
I used #4 size yarn instead of #5 size bulky yarn.  I also upgraded the hook size to counteract the smaller gauge yarn.  I also made the blanket longer than the pattern called for, but you can do this by simply adding extra ripples.

Similar Patterns: 
Ripple Effect Throw (if you want your ripples to go across instead of long-ways)
Mulberry Street Afghan (for rounded ripples)
Playful Ripples Throw

Notes: 
I haven't finished the blanket yet, but wanted to post on my progress.  The yarn is very soft and a pleasure to work with, plus it was pretty inexpensive.  The only problem I've had is that the ripples on my foundation chain end are curling because the rest of the project is a little wider than the foundation chain.  If you have this problem too, remember to make the foundation chain as loose as possible or your project will not be square on that end.  You really have to make it crazy loose so that you can fit your hook into the chain and so that your work ends up square (otherwise it will start getting wider as you make more rows).  I still think it's looking really good so far.  Plus, it's a fun project to work on.  The increasing and decreasing might sound confusing, but it is very easy once you get the hang of it.

Help:
How to do a double crochet
How to increase
How to decrease (directions with illustrations) - refers to dc3tog (double crochet 3 stitches together)
Please visit the help page [link coming soon]

No comments: